Friday, August 31, 2007

Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book

A striking two-CD set featuring arguably history's finest jazz singer singing some of the best-written American pop standards on one of jazz's most prolific labels. Ella Fitzgerald shines as the perfect interpreter of Cole Porter's bittersweet love songs on these 35 tracks from the Verve archives (x).


I wasn't sure what to post before I left, but I was trying to think of something good, which would make me feel better while I'm on my flight probably watching an ANTM marathon (I can't help it!) and drinking Diet Coke while my brain leaks out of my ears.

I remembered that Ken mentioned this album a few days back, awarding it the title of "favorite jazz vocal record." I heartily agree, ranking it in my personal top 10 albums, and I don't think many out there have anything bad to say about this record. That encouraged me to post it; I know I've posted it before, but I know that those who have it already (perhaps have the beautiful Verve Master Edition themselves) will hopefully appreciate the post, and those who haven't gotten a chance to listen to it will be able to fall in love with it.

Ella, on many songs, produced definitive versions that will never lose their reigning place in the musical landscape. Enjoy Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book, the Verve Master Edition, with 3 alternate takes, found at the end of disc 2.
For those it applies to, have a great Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks