Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Gender Discrimination Week: Soeur Marie Keyrouz

Termed "une des grandes dames de la musique sacrée" by amazon.ca and I'm sure many others, Sister Marie Keyrouz of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church, truly has an amazing voice and fantastic source material, here songs and hymns from Holy Week rites of the Eastern church. Like any sacred music or really any type of music, you don't have to be a believer to understand the beauty and power of the art. I'm trying to get my hands on this album, and I'll put it up if I can find it. If you want to hear more, there is music available for streaming on her site.
Among the single best single Byzantine chant recordings available, by one of the finest Byzantine chanters alive today. Sister Keyrouz has a voice that is transcendent; a virtual mystical experience. She captures and conveys all the agony and suffering, the sorrow and joy of Holy Week and the Passion. The chorale that backs her provides a wonderful ison, and this is among the best extant examples of the glory of Byzantine liturgical music [x].
I would also like to apologize as I do not have the 1st track. I downloaded this album awhile ago, and big thanks to the original uploader, but do you always put a picture of Donald Duck in place of the first track?

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks