Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The NOISEttes



Having been hearing the Noisettes on the radio all summer, I finally decided to be a little hip and check out the rest of the album, so I'm listening to "What's the Time Mr Wolf," and I'm wanting to like it more than I am. I'm ignoring the Yeah Yeah Yeah comparisons because I honestly don't like the YYYs. So far, I think singer Shingai Shoniwa has a much more powerful and flexible voice than Karen O and carries herself better. As for the music, and despite the initial sense of bombast, the longer I listen, the more it seems that the group has tried to stuff a lot of sounds into a track-by-track shrinkwrap of too much of one thing. That said, it's a decent and at times fun album, but while it doesn't exactly become stale, it doesn't tend towards the alluded to color and excitement.

Most of the critics are able to appreciate this release more than I.
The Noisettes rarely let their ambitions get the better of them. Any band capable of fusing such divergent sounds and ideas so completely and compellingly is worth hearing -- and watching [xx].

Count Of Monte Christo could almost be Norah Jones if that was human blood coursing through her veins, and hidden duet Never Fall In Love Again is a disarming bit of whimsy like Jack and Meg at their most quietly incestuous. Scratch your name into the fabric of this world before you go! Shingai pleads heroically on standout track ‘Scratch Your Name’, over a chorus that’ll do much the same for your cerebral cortex [xx].
Which is to say check it out, cos to each his own. The standout tracks for me are the first two, but then again, I started to lose interest a few tracks after taht. If you are able to groove to this more than I could, props to you. Either way, enjoy :]

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks