Saturday, February 18, 2006

Nochnoi Dozor



Night Watch, the big Russian hit that broke like alll records, was picked up by 20th Century Fox and given subtitles. It was released (limited) yesterday, and I took the 6 down to St Mark's and then walked to Houston and 2nd ish just in time for the 430pm show. I have absolutely no energy or time to write a review, so I'll just throw in some rottentomatoes links and let you go at it. Though I was confused a lot, I can't wait for the 2nd installment or for the English translation of the original novel to be released in the US.



It's fun, stylish, dark. It feels like a film based on a book, which I don't mind at all; rather than frustrate me with unexplained details, it makes me want to read the book and get the whole story. It has a natural progression rather than a rising action-climax-denouenment straight up formula, and also has a pretty Whoa There ending. The movie is sped-up and remixed during the credits, very fun to watch, and the Subtitles are fascinating: they dissolve, they grow big, they appear as dialogue is said. I'm very pleased that it was decided to keep the movie in Russian and not dub it. The main character, Anton, is easy to become attached to, and there are some great conflict moments of Anton and his Dark Other friend, underscoring the message that things aren't just Black & White like they may have been back in the day. Instead, it's modern and it's complicated, and thoroughly enjoyable. Sit back enjoy-- just don't try to understand the plot. And I mean that in a good way.



Positive Reviews:

Negative Reviews:

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks