Monday, March 05, 2007

BBC Dramatization: JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings

I've been listening to this since I was a kid when we had it in our house on cassettes, even before I read the books (and then found out how much more sense it made). I've been listening to it at work the last few weeks (bleak: little room, lotsa messy files, and one of the biggest downers of an ending.) This dramatization is superbly acted, most notable, I think are Michael Hordern as Gandalf and Peter Woodthorpe as Gollum-blows the guy who did it in the films right outta the water. The sound effects are great, the music is gorgeous (though some of the battle scenes get shortened into these weird songs/spoken sections for abbreviation I suppose), a total sensory immersion. In 13 hour long episodes, which clocks a little more than Peter Jackson's films it seems, but far more faithfully adapted and even more impressive that it's all audio. I'll be posting over the next few days, hopefully.

Wikipedia info, including cast list

Disc 1/13
Disc 2/13
Disc 3/13
Disc 4/13
Disc 5/13
Disc 6/13
Disc 7/13
Disc 8/13
Disc 9/13
Disc 10/13
Disc 11/13
Disc 12/13
Disc 13/13

I'm glad people are enjoying this post. Thanks for stopping by and for the comments :)
Now I'm off to Little Italy for dinner and then to see 300. The best part is, we had to read Herodotus last year in my LitHum class and I don't remember reading about the Battle of Thermopylae at all. All I remember is Xerxes getting mad at a river and having his men flog it. And also cutting this dude in half. And then tomorrow, I am officially on Spring Break after a wonderfully hellish week. I'll be in Florida, so posting will be up n running again by the end of next week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful BBC series - I have about two thirds of the original broadcast on cassette, but they are just about worn out.
BTW, I love what you do here - your posts are always thoughtful and original.
Ken

b said...

thank you for your kind words! i'm especially flattered because the quality of your posts are amazing. i'm glad to be able to share the cd versions with someone who appreciates this series :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks from someone else who appreciates
your thoughtfulness, time and effort. This
BBC series tops all!

Jim said...

That Xerxes sounds like a fun fellow to hang around with.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughtfulness, time and effort. This
BBC series tops all!
i have it on tape but not cd and look forward to listening to it again
(woof woof)
regards the dalmatian

rokosh said...

Wow, I'm a major LOTR fan and unlike most of the other posters, didn't even know these series existed. May be age and geography had something to do with it!
Thanks buddy, going to enjoy this.

Anonymous said...

Many thanxs for sharing this stuff m8

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks