Sunday, December 20, 2009

Casting the Runes by MR James


Back around Halloween, A Different Stripe, the NYRB Classics blog, posted the complete text of "Casting the Runes" by horror-master & medieval scholar M(ontague) R(hodes) James. I had never heard of him and, reading the story, it became clear to me the influences he has had on everyone from Lovecraft to Bellairs to horror radio programs to Mignola. This one in particular has the added bonus of being included in Edward Gorey's The Haunted Looking Glass, published by the NYRB.

"Poor Mr Dunning? I don't know why you call him that; he's a very happy man, is Dunning. Lots off hobbies and a comfortable home, and all his time to himself."

"I only meant I should be sorry for him if this man got hold of his name, and came and bothered him."

"Oh, ah! Yes. I dare say he would be poor Mr Dunning then."

Since James often wrote these stories as a form of Christmas Eve entertainment (could this be where Stephen King got the idea for "The Breathing Method"?) I think it's appropriate to pass on the link at this point.

More James is available through Wikilivres.

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks