Thursday, September 03, 2009

Amanda Blank? More like Amanda Blah!

Oh, I am clever. (Also grumpy. Sorry.) Two things prompted me to post this. One is that you all know how I'm on the cutting edge of music ("the Offspring are still around? Durr.") Second is that I was sitting around waiting to do something very important with my future roommate (it's apartment hunting time aka getting fucked up the ass by Manhattan brokers time.) He was showing me some songs he likes (Fleet Foxes-- ok cool; Matt & Kim-- ugh) and when he would describe ones he didn't like, or an album that the song came from he didn't like, he'd say "it just didn't work for me." Which on one hand seems like a nice way (and he's a nice guy) to say fuck it, it was shit, but on the other hand actually is a good descriptor for some things. Things that are uninteresting so that you become disinterested. (See what I did there?)

So going back to the cutting-edge part of this blog. Amanda Blank is I guess a newish big thing-- foul mouthed female MC from Philly, not hard on the eyes-- marketable, easily packaged for the hipster crowd (cute and white, how convenient.)

She generously has a lot of tracks available on her Myspace so it's easy to get a sampling of her music, but I can't figure out what the difference between her tritely explicit lyrics and the Pussycat Dolls & co-- sure she can talk fast. But if you want some fast talking, go listen to this-- yeah, even this is more interesting. If you want some snarly female spunk that is smart and dirty at the same time (and SAX), go listen to "Never Say Never," referenced in Blank's "I Might Like You Better." Amanda Blank seems like the Lady Gaga of the female MC crowd-- intriguing for about ten seconds, and since this is mostly through the hype, actually hearing the music is like coming up against a brick wall. It isn't that it's terrible; it's that it's neither here nor there. It just doesn't work for me.

On the other hand, she is part of Diplo's interesting remix of Santogold's "I'm a Lady" with sample + cover of LL Cool J's "I Need Love," which is found on the pretty darn good Top Rankin Mixtape. I really hate the way the Skreemr embed thing looks, so click on the links below.

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks