Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I want fuckloads of diamonds. I heard people die while they're trying to find them.


I've been really warming up to Lily Allen recently. It's always hard to like celebrities' kids when they first start producing stuff. But I think it was a combination of finally seeing the video of "Smile" (who hasn't ever wanted to pay little hooligans to smash a boy who has wronged you's record collection?) and liking the sense of humor as well as the various juicy gossipy things surrounding her (weight, miscarriage.) I admit that latter factor is terrible-- why should reading about her insecurities on my People.com newsfeed make me like her music more? Shouldn't it stand on its own? I think it does, though. I think what it did was convince me to give her stuff a chance, and I've been pleasantly surprised ever since. I think she has a nice style, too. Except the whole tennie-runners with dresses things.

"The Fear" is the first single off her recently released album, It's Not Me, It's You, which I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole way but is getting good reviews. The song is about celebrity culture today, but is easy enough to pick up gems that not only relate to your life ("everything's cool as long as I'm getting thinner") but also make you feel very naughty for sniggering at (ie, see the title of the post. Hilarious.) The video is also good- has dancing presents.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Welcome to the dark side young B. Mwahahaha.

I still feel pangs of guilt at liking her, but I'll survive.

Jim said...

Er, maybe stay away from her cover of Straight To Hell though...

Northern Jon said...

She's awesome man, however Kate Nash does nothing for me, except give me the horn.

ken said...

Hey b,
sorry for going m.i.a., we've been dealing with respiratory infections for the past three weeks (home and work-not an activity I'd recommend...We've just about put it behind us, and I managed to post a Johnny Cash piece in honor of his birthday today!
I LOVE Lily Allen's music - esp. LDR, she's also done some stuff with the Specials that's pretty darn good as well.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks