Sunday, November 26, 2006

III

Oh man, I had a whole post and then it went away. . . Also, I hope everybody's holiday (if applicable, and if not, at least the weekend) was fun, back to the working week I'm afraid. I went to Texas and now I have a cold, but it's all good :)

'Kay- So- since we've got Hank Sr down there and Jr over at the wonderful Gimmie Back My Head. . . here's some Hank Williams III with Lovesick Broke & Driftin.



Definitely a different sound from Jr, more of a return to Sr, if only because III sounds uncannily like his grandfather.
While the third-generation rebel strives mightily to find his own sound by wedding the spooky, old-style country blues and dark themes of his grandfather (Hank Sr.) to the Southern rock and boogie of his dad (Hank Jr.), at times he's guilty of trying too hard to buck Nashville ("Trashville") and re-create the misery of the Williams family tradition. Song after song packs danger and despair between the lines, in drinking to kill the pain, in wallowing in depression, in walking the "low road" of life. That said, III knows how to conjure a gutbucket rhythm ("7 Months and 39 Days") as well as a mournful tearjerker ("5 Shots of Whiskey"), and his touring band keeps things spare, raw, and honkin'. Not everything comes together, but there's no doubting this is a fascinating snapshot of a magical performer struggling to make his own legend. (amazon.com review)

9 comments:

Jim said...

Hmm, interesting, that's roughly a bajillion times better than the Hank III album I used to have.
What did you think of Jr?

Oh, are you managing to refrain from keeping cats in your fridge too?

Jim said...

A fridge full of beer and yogurt? That's it, I'm coming to visit :)
I'll leave inquisitive cat at home, just in case you get tempted.

Oh my, what an incredibly long verification word thingy. I hate it when that happens.

Jim said...

Yeah, that dog sure can party. Don't let him drink all the beer, he's a nightmare when he is drunk, always so damn opinionated!
Rabbit isn't good with booze either, so I'll take his share. He'll be happy with the carrots though.
This is him btw :)
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/jimjim79/rabbit.jpg

Jim said...

Bah, lousy comments cut it short.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n258/jimjim79/rabbit.jpg

Jim said...

Or doesn't cut it short after all. I suck...

Jim said...

Bunnicula? *consults google* Why have I never heard of this before?
So, the dog gets yogurt, rabbit gets carrot sticks, I get beer? I am sooo there! Now, how the fck do I get there from scotland I wonder...

Jim said...

Good thinking, I'll start begging first thing tomorrow. Shit, wait, I'll have to drink American beer won't I? I'd better save up extra then, being a good Scotsman and having to live up to national stereotypes, I'll need to drink a ton of that stuff to get drunk...
Don't worry about my posse, Dog is independantly wealthy, he'll be able to get him and rabbit there easier than me. Lousy canine wont pay for me though, he says it builds character to pay my own way. I hate him and his strongly held views sometimes!
Rabbit isn't much better, he's a sarcastic little bugger at times.

Jim said...

Guinness will do nicely, I basically live off that anyway. Scottish beer is mostly horrible, as is much English beer. Anything from the rest of Europe is usually much better.

Dog does sound a bit like Calvin's dad now you mention it. I'll have to tell him he is performing poorly in the polls and see what happens. Maybe it will at least distract him long enough for me to "borrow" his money.

I'm familiar with that tradition, but unfortunatly because you can't buy booze anywhere but a pub after 10pm here, once the beer has ran out, it usually means drinking anything else you can get your hands on. In my experience, more often than not, that ends up being Brandy, which is never good.

Anonymous said...

HEY, THAT SO IF YOU LOOK FOR GOOD MUSIC DATES A RETURN TO HAVE IF YOU FIND SOMETHING DE TU PLEASURE

HTTP://XSIEMPREJOVEN06.BLOGSPOT.COM

GREETINGS

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks