Monday, January 23, 2006

mini mix: B yourself

Whenever someone says that, I think of Aladdin (you know, the Disney film), when the Genie becomes a little bee and tells Aladdin to "beee himself."
So that pretty much has nothing to do with this post, but I figured I could provide a few songs from groups with the letter "
B" in their names, a letter which also happens to be the first letter of my name. Which also has nothing to do with anything.

Click on the links and wait for the countdown. Please let me know if something isn't working.




Reel Big Fish. Fantastic group, a lot of fun. Sarcastic, funny, inappropriate, and cheerfully profane. Their love songs are not happy, they know what they want ("First of all, I'd like to say. . ."). SoCal boys do it again with a great horn section, clever lyrics, and a solid, colorful rock sound.

I Want Your Girlfriend to be My Girlfriend Too- Reel Big Fish

Big Audio Dynamite II. You'll recognize the singer, and for good reason: it's Mick Jones of the Clash. His projects Big Audio Dynamite and BADII obviously never experienced the same recognition as the Clash, but the music is lovely. "Rush" was played on the radio, I believe. That's where I first heard it. . . The sound is cleaner than the Clash, probably owing to, in addition to many other things, the different genre, and featured are beats and sampling. If you like Mick's voice, I'd recommend this group. This song is slower and seems at first more subdued, unlike the more dance-friendly "The Globe" and "Rush," but the sentiments and thoughts are equally lovely and accesible. The backing synth vocals and faint rain-stick sounds that pop up every so often make me think of the music of the Legend of Zelda; but we've also got Mick, some acoustic and electric guitars, so that's definitely more a side note than a defining and important comment.

Innocent Child - BAD II (*mp4 format, use itunes*)

Mighty Mighty Bosstones. This is the Boston ska group's big hit, and Dicky Barrett's voice is fantastic. Just listen to his lovely Mighty Morning Show. He has the voice of an angel. . . an angel from Boston. He lives in Monrovia, CA, now, which happens to be, funnily enough, a location of very bad reception for the radio station he is on. I wonder how his kids listen to him. . . well, they should be at school anyway. One of the best parts about the show is the answering machine messages they play at the start, and often Dicky is featured explaining how he's stuck in traffic.

The Impression that I Get - Mighty Mighty Bosstones


Thanks for visiting! and don't forget to let us know what you think. I hope you enjoy this mini mix!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi B dawg. tried to get the MMB song but i have that same prblm w megaupload where the media player goes funny on me..

i love that BAD song.. :)

love C

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks