Thursday, February 15, 2007

Because of the Times

New Kings of Leon! (zip)

Haven't heard the whole thing, but there is definitely a new sound, a step away from the Southern rock-y (which would be more disappointing if this stuff weren't so good). The songs thus far are heavier and slower than the first two albums. But good. Oh so good.

Though it seems Nathan decided to grow his beard back.

Amazon says: A trio of relentless rockers--"My Party," "Camaro," and the sarcastic "Charmer"--are sure to pacify those familiar with the Kings' blueprint, yet there is ripening in the band's approach heard, in several of the record's 13 songs. Reverb guitar and vocals and a "woo woo" chorus add a sinister aspect to "Trunk," and "Knocked Up" features a laissez-faire Caleb Followill crooning "She don't care what her mama said/She's gonna have my baby." The seven-minute revelation of fatherhood that opens the album leads into the U2-influenced "McFearless," a reggae-splashed "Ragoo," and the rambling English blues of "Black Thumbnail."

I take issue with the review in that the "ripening" mentioned seems to refer to the lessening of the Kings of Leon twang. I don't know if I like the evolution/step forward implied in that. Unless the reviewer hopes that they leave the creative and fresh sound we all grew up with (ha ha) in favor of a more radio friendly format. Also, "My Party" does not strike me as a good example as it is used in the review. But I do like what I'm hearing, don't get me wrong. Caleb's voice is the same wounded yelpy thing, and the music is strong and the lyrics dark & aware. Enjoy :)

You can get it from a number of other sites.
Also, Mike's Site has Youth and Young Manhood up.

No comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks