Friday, August 04, 2006

Cutest album cover ever

Whiskey on a Sunday

I really can't get over how cute this kid is. I also can't figure out if it's Dave King. . . Fans have probably already run out to buy this release- it includes a DVD documentary, a new studio track, and lots of live/acoustic favorites. Which further reinforces that I need to see these guys once they come to New York and aren't playing at a fancy, technologically advanced venue that requires real, scannable IDs for the show. Or aren't playing in New Jersey. Tracklist-
  1. Laura (4:15)
  2. Drunken Lullabies (acoustic) (4:55)
  3. The Wanderlust (acoustic) (3:37)
  4. Another Bag of Bricks (acoustic) (4:05)
  5. Tomorrow Comes a Day Too Soon (acoustic) (3:39)
  6. The Likes of You Again (live) (4:08)
  7. Swagger (live) (2:14)
  8. Black Friday Rule (live) (11:57)
  9. Within a Mile of Home (live) (4:34)
  10. What's Left of the Flag (live) (4:13)
Havana 3am
Also, check out some great anecdotes and insight from the fabulous Chairman Ralph in the Havana 3 am post. My favorite part is-
Once I'd got past asking him [Paul] the standard stuff ("When ya comin' to the States, Paul, 'cause we really need ya there?" "When we can afford it!"), I moved to bigger game (in the spirit of one bass player to another): "Paul, what are the chords to 'Red Angel Dragnet?'" Paul scratched his head, and laughed: "Oh, God, I dunno...I forgot." Pause. "If I sat down, I could probably work it out..."
I hope I didn't give the impression that I don't like the album, though. I probably should have included a review that didn't depend on Clash comparisons. As Chairman Ralph points out--
Looking back now, it seems that some writers had trouble getting past what I call the "resume" aspect of the band (y'know, "ex-this, ex-that")...but I don't remember the audiences having a problem with it (which is what counts, when you're up there playing).
Of course, now I'm incredibly envious of those who did get to see them. I'm afraid I came a little too late in the game, not to date myself or anything. . . :p Oh well. Off to see Talladega nights.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, sickboy (and I have taken care of those lost Havana 3am songs, if you just scroll down)...don't worry about keeping score of the calendar! As Mike Watt likes to say: "Some of us can't help the year we were born."

Heck, I never saw the Replacements, or Husker Du, but I did see Black Flag, and the Clash...to me, it all came out in the wash. And look at the Sex Pistols: how many gigs did they play in their original incarnation? Not as many as they could have, to be sure!

I hate seeing articles that put people down for not being around "when things were cooler..." That mentality, to me, has been the kiss of death for many of the Baby Boomers' icons...who haven't moved on at all from their artistic peaks, effectively making 'em tribute bands...and smelling of the "phony Beatlemania" that Joe Strummer so eloquently warned us about back in '79-'80.

I can't wait to see what Paul does in his new band with Damon Albarn...a lot of writers assumed he'd retired, but I never totally believed that. I always figured that he'd come back, but on his own termms -- isn't that the best way to do things?

Jim said...

Disney songs rule :)

Anonymous said...

I suspect the clattering of that heavily-accented snare would have sent poor Walt around the bend! Or, reaching for the nearest legal brief!

b said...

aah still have to see them. of course they're going to be playing where i live right when i leave and head back to school, so i won't get to catch them. hopefully they'll come to new york and play a venue i can get into :p

thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

by any chance, could you reupload this Flogging Molly "Drinking on a Sunday" ??
The link is dead.
thanks
L.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks